Methane Conversion to Liquid Fuels and Chemicals
The Cargnello group focuses on the preparation and use of uniform and tailored materials for heterogeneous catalysis and photocatalysis and the technological exploitation of nanoparticles and nanocrystals. Reactions of interest are related to sustainable energy generation and use, control of emissions of greenhouse gases, and better utilization of abundant building blocks (methane, biomass).
The Majumdar Group researches the science and engineering of nanoscale materials and devices, especially in the areas of energy conversion, transport and storage as well as biomolecular analysis. Current research focuses on electrochemical and thermochemical redox reactions that are fundamental to a sustainable energy future, multidimensional nanoscale imaging and microscopy, and a new effort to re-engineer the electricity grid using data science, including deep learning techniques.
The research interests of the Spormann Group in our lab are at the interface of fundamental metabolic processes of anaerobic microorganisms and their application in bioenergy, bioremediation, and human intestinal health. We explore the distinguishing features of novel microbial metabolism and how molecular and biochemical differences in metabolism shape microbial fitness. We study novel microbial metabolism with relevance to bioremediation, bioenergy, and intestinal microbiology.
The Zheng group studies the interfacial science among combustion, nanomaterials and energy conversion. Our goal is to bridge combustion science with scalable synthesis and applications of high-dimensional nanomaterials to provide innovative and revolutionary solutions to solve some of today’s most challenging problems, such as energy and the environment. The Zheng group is also interested in innovating new manufacture methods for flexible and attachable inorganic electronics.
- Microkinetics - Molecular Principles of Chemical Kinetics
CHEMENG 130A (Spr)
- Special Topics in Nanostructured Materials for Energy and the Environment
CHEMENG 521 (Aut, Win, Spr, Sum)
- When Chemistry Meets Engineering
CHEMENG 31N (Aut)
- Electrochemical Energy Conversion
CHEMENG 432 (Spr)
- Energy: Chemical Transformations for Production, Storage, and Use
CHEMENG 25E, ENGR 25E (Win)
- Special Topics in Energy and Catalysis
CHEMENG 516 (Aut, Win, Spr, Sum)
- Environmental Biotechnology
CEE 271B (Win)
- Energy Systems I: Thermodynamics
ME 370A (Aut)
- Engineering Thermodynamics
ME 30 (Aut)
- High Temperature Gasdynamics Laboratory Research Project Seminar
ME 390A (Spr)
- Nanomaterials Synthesis and Applications for Mechanical Engineers
ME 373 (Win)
- Environmental Microbiology I
BIO 273A, CEE 274A, CHEMENG 174, CHEMENG 274 (Aut)
- Microbial Bioenergy Systems
BIO 273B, CEE 274B, CHEMENG 456 (Win)